Monday, June 23, 2008

Have it all figured out?

So, I have been using proraso for the past week or so and my shaves are coming out quite good.  I am on my second Blue Israeli aka Crystal blade and I really like it.  The other day I pop in a new blade, lather up with Proraso, have 2 passes, hydrating between passes, then put on some Art of Shaving pre shave oil, and finish up the last two passes.  Just about a perfect shave!  The next day I was going somewhere or doing something special (cant remember what it was) and wanted a lighter scent so I decided to forgo the Proraso and shave with my Classic Lavender.  After 4 passes I had the least amount of irritation yet on any shave, but the shave was not as close as I had been getting with the Proraso.  I thought maybe it was just because it was a used blade (I have been getting 3 shaves per blade) So today I thought I would use the same blade (more used now) with Proraso and see how it goes.  Unfortunately I did not do this test very scientific as I changed more than one variable.  I decided to try using the Proraso Pre/Post cream as a pre shave (I have up until now only used it as a post shave treatment).  Well, even with a used blade, I have the best shave to date.  Only the slightest amount of irritation and that is when I am outside in the heat and starting to sweat, and a nice smooth face (including my neck)!  Well, Im sure that the majority of my shave improvements is strictly my techniques improving, but it sounds like I have my base blade/cream to base all others on.

Comment on putting the AOS Pre shave oil on after the second pass:  My first two passes on my neck cause no irritation, third pass I can feel some resistance, and the fourth ATG pass is where things get tender.  I have found that if I put the oil on at the beginning, I shave it off by the time I really need it on.  It seems to work pretty well.

No comments: