Monday, June 2, 2008

new approach to multi pass shave

Ok, so shaving my cheeks is the easiest, followed by my chin, with my neck as the hardest to get a good smooth shave.
I see no need for a 4 pass shave on the cheeks, so I tried something new today, one pass south on each cheek, re-lather and add a little water to lather on chin and neck, then one north pass on each cheek. Add a little more water to chin and neck keeping lather fresh.  Shave with grain on chin, re-lather just chin, shave cross grain, re-lather, shave against grain.  Oh yeah I shaved my mustache at some point in here...  my face is now shaved and clean of cream while my neck is still slathered.  I then shave with the grain on my neck and remembered that I forgot to use pre-shave oil and feel the start of razor burn.  I finish the first pass nice and slow, finding that indeed short shaves work better than long pulls of the razor.  I put some oil on my neck, re-lather and shave cross grain, I think I shaved cross grain twice but not quite sure, followed up with an against the grain shave.  
results: not quite baby butt smooth but by far the best shave so far.  Not sure if it the shave oil, the switch to Derby blades, or just my techniqe is improving, but I only have the slightest amount of  sensation from the shave.  I almost wish I could try shaving twice a day, but ehh too much work.

No comments: