Sunday, June 15, 2008

Trying out the (in)famous Proraso

So in my running around yesterday I stopped by a beauty supply that happens to carry the classic Italian shaving cream Proraso.  I've read many good reviews about it, its cheap, so I decided to try it.  $12 for a big ol' green tube of shave cream and another $12 for a jar pre/post shave cream.  Couldn't wait to get home and try it.  Well, as they say one thing led to another and never got a chance to shave Saturday.  No worries Sunday morning will start off with a bang... well, some house work, an emergency call for work... Saturday night before bed I finally take a shower and head off to the library to shave.  Nice sink full of hot water with my brush soaking during the shower, drain and refill with fresh hot water, load up the brush with a little pearly white worm of proraso, and we're off and running.  

Hmm sorta medicinal smell, Eucalyptus and menthol, lather is pretty dry, add some water, lathers really quick.  Seems pretty slick, smells..."classic" kinda reminds me of a (not necessarily mine though) grandfather.  It shaved quite well, had enough cream in the brush for a good 3 pass shave plus a little touch up.  I have had some irritation on my throat that I want to clear up (barely visible) so I didn't go for an aggressive ATG final pass.  My neck is not the smoothest (cant get it smooth without the ATG) after tonight's shave, but better than my usual old shaves with a Mach 3.  Only one slight nick, and I'm hesitant to call it an actual nick, it stopped weeping before the last pass.  One last hot water rinse, wipe off the face, then cold water splash.  I started to pat dry my face when I remembered the aftershave cream, I re-wet my face and get a little of the thick paste on my finger, I rub it around in my wet hands and pat my face, it feels pretty good, no alcohol burn, but it does feel warm (and cool at the same time?) sorta like I used some CoolHot on my face.  All together a very pleasant shave.

All in all I think the shave cream does a very good job, it seems like it is very lubricious, it makes my face tingle, and it is very refreshing.  The scent is... there.  I do very much enjoy the vintage clean smell of it, but it might be just a little over the edge into the medicinal.  I will definitely be using the shave cream again, I need to try the post cream again, I'm not sure if it really does anything for me.  I think next time I shave, go for the final ATG, and develop some razor burn for my troubles, I will learn if the stuff really does what it is supposed to do.  Judging by the shave cream, I will be surprised if it does not.

Closing thought is if they made this stuff smell like Mama Bear almonds, I would sell off the rest of my shave creams and concentrate on the perfect blade.

No comments: