Thursday, June 26, 2008

wow, this is it, BBS!

Ok, I've been kinda busy, kinda bummed out, and haven't shaved in the past couple of days.  I was telling myself I was letting my whiskers grow out to better map my face... So I keep reading how prep is the key, and a lot of people swear by a hot towel over lather for a minute or two.  I cant do this, not because I am just so busy that I can't afford one spare minute, but its more like I can't stand still and do nothing for that minute.  I tried lathering up and letting it sit without a towel,  "hmm, I know Ill brush my teeth while I wait" my tooth paste ends up tasting like proraso... yuch.  I brushed my hair, after I shaved I just have to brush my hair again so that was a waste of time.... I just cant imagine sitting there with a towel on my face...  There has to be an alternative.  I know, Ill lather up in the shower, and let it sit while I wash.  

    My wife was already gone to work so I grabbed my gear from the Library, put in a new blade (I really like my blue Israeli, but Im almost out, so I'll save those and try the Gillettes from my sampler pack), and off to the showers.  So I hop in the hot water, get my beard nice and wet, and wonder how bad this shave is going to be because my whiskers are pretty long.  I pop open my proraso pre cream and smear it around.  This time I actually read the directions and said to apply and rub in until absorbed.  I used a little bit more than I usually do and it seemed to really moisturize my face.  Considering that I haven't shaved, in two or three days, I was amazed at how soft my whiskers felt all of a sudden especially when I think on how much more rough my whiskers feel since I started wet shaving.  "Hmm this might be an interesting shave..." I then whipped up a nice brush full of proraso lather, and painted my face.  I let the lather sit as I finished up the shower.  I was about to get out when I thought of how big of a mess I will make in the sink with this much hair growth, So I decided to go for a quick first pass in the shower, and let the hot water clean up my mess.  Wow!  I felt almost zero resistance on the blade.  I kept looking at the razor making sure that there was hair under the blade and that I wasn't just wiping the lather off with the face of the razor.  It was shaving, it was just shaving incredibly smooth.  I rinsed my face, re lathered and got out.  Hey its kinda nice only taking two steps to the shaving sink instead of walking to a completely different room.  Shave across the grain, and still no resistance.  Rinse, check, I seem to be about one pass ahead of myself, the shave is that good so far, and the rough spot on my chin is almost BBS without an Against The Grain pass!.  Re lather and go for against the grain, ok besides a few little weepers on my neck that I don't even feel, this is by far the smoothest, absolutely irritation free, best shave I've EVER had.  Before I cold water splash, my throat is BBS, this just doesn't happen to me.  Im so happy!  As much as I love the scent of my other creams and Mama Bears almond, I am finding it hard to want to shave with anything other than Proraso.  I am not sure if the different blade was that much better for me, the extra pre cream, or what, but all I know is I have a great shave!

No comments: